Best Practices for Frequently Called Departments
To take full advantage of the Frequently Called Departments feature to improve overall
speech recognition for the Vocera system, Vocera recommends the best practices listed in this
- If your Vocera system is very large, you may need to do some performance tuning to
optimize your system. A large Vocera system typically has more than 2,500 users
across multiple sites and a spoken name count (which includes user names, group
names, alternate spoken names, and department names) equal to or greater than 90,000.
See Performance Tuning for Large Customers in the Vocera Infrastructure
- Make sure Frequently Called Departments options are enabled on the System >
Preferences page of the Administration Console. See Setting System Preferences for complete information.
- Use the Departments page of the Administration Console to define your department and
subdepartment groups. See Maintaining Department Groups for complete
- Make sure all Vocera users are assigned to a department.Also, avoid nesting
Users who are members of a department will benefit from speech
recognition improvements due to the Frequently Called Departments feature. All
users who are not assigned to a department use a special speech recognition
grammar file that is assigned a 5% probability.
- Allow calling statistics to be collected for several weeks to determine reliable
calling patterns for departments. Before calling patterns take effect, uniform
probabilities are applied to departments. See Collecting Call Statistics for Frequently Called Departments for complete
- In the Administration Console, you can view calling statistics for Frequently Called
Departments on the Dept Call Frequency tab of the Departments page. If department and
subdepartment groups have experienced significant changes in membership due to
restructuring of your Vocera database, you may want to clear the calling statistics
for a selected site or department. See Viewing Calling Statistics for Frequently
Called or department. See Viewing Call Statistics for Frequently Called Departments
for complete information.
- To assess speech recognition for departments, use the Vocera Report Server to
schedule several diagnostic reports, including Recognition Results by Department and
Recognition Results by User. For more information, see the Vocera Report Server