Direct Calling Overview
Care team connect feature enables patients and their care team to directly communicate
with each other in bed locations.
The advantages of care team connect:
- Enables seamless patient-to-nurse communication.
- Enables patients to communicate with the care team in the absence of a nurse call
- Reduces the need to don and doff Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and improve the
- Allows easy implementation by extending Wi-Fi to a new facility more quickly than
The following capabilities are enabled by default:
- Placing a call
- Controlling Volume
- LED indication for call in progress
The following are the default behaviors for the Smartbadge:
- Black screen display and User Interface―Turned off to save power.
- Touch screen―Disabled and does not respond.
- DND button―Disabled to prevent the user from accidentally applying DND and rejecting
- Panic button―Disabled to prevent the user from accidentally pressing the Panic button.
Note: Only the DND button is applicable for B-series Badges.
There is no change in behavior for the B3000n badge, and the following behavior still
- DND button―Places the user in DND mode. An inbound caller is offered the option to
- Call button―Places a call to the target destination. If the badge user has accidentally
enabled DND, pressing the Call button will turn off DND.
- Panic Call―Double tapping the Call button attempts to initiate a Panic call if a Panic
group is configured.
Enabling and Disabling Direct Calling on V5000 Smartbadge
The care team connect feature on V5000 Smartbadge can be enabled using one of the
For more information, refer to Vocera Device Configuration Guide.
When the custom property V5.DirectCallEnabled = True
any user that logs into the Vocera V5000 Smartbadge are set to this mode. Ensure that only
those devices intended for this use case are configured with this custom property.
Badges do not need this property. You can place a direct call to a patient if the Direct
Call and a destination are set in the user profile in the Voice Server or Vocera
Note: Ensure that your administrator has enabled the direct call feature on Voice Server
Console and Vocera Platform.